LEICA II conversion

From about 1930 Leitz company offered their customers the conversion of an existing Leica to the latest technical level, which often led to the fact that early Leica models were converted into a Leica II or…

» more

In stock

No. : 103020 Condition : B

1.495,00 

Description

From about 1930 Leitz company offered their customers the conversion of an existing Leica to the latest technical level, which often led to the fact that early Leica models were converted into a Leica II or Leica III, with or without flash synchronization. Through these conversions, many early cameras have lost their historical significance for the collector.
However, the increased features and modernized functions of a factory-converted Leica were appreciated by many photographers who viewed their Leica as a tool.

Factory conversions are a popular specialty for some collectors, as they show how much Leitz was concerned about the desires of the customers and how Leica's technical conception and development capability was original.

Offered is a Leica II conversion based on a Leica Standard from 1933. The camera is equipped with a nickel-plated Elmar 3.5/50mm lens. The first delivery took place on March 3rd, 1933 as a Leica Standard including the lens offered here to Vienna.
The factory conversion was probably carried out by Leitz in the 1930s and seems to be one of the earliest factory conversions ever. Without looking at the serial number, one could assume a very early regular Leica II.
Such an early factory conversion is very rare and the result cannot be distinguished from a camera normally manufactured as a Leica II.

The camera and lens are in above-average condition. Technically as well as cosmetically, both pieces can be classified as very good!

Total production: the number of factory conversions is not exactly recorded

Rarity: R5

Rarity forecast: R5